Re:  Hanford Site Cleanup Standards

In a message dated 9/2/2003 8:39:22 AM Pacific Standard Time,

liptonw@DTEENERGY.COM writes:

Regarding your statement that, "... there has been no documented health

effect among the non-worker public from radioactive contamination at Hanford.":  I

suppose that if someone were issued a citation for speeding, all he'd have to

say is that, since there was no accident, he can't be issued a citation.  Or,

failing that, argue that the speed limit is too low.  As I stated, the issue

isn't criminal behavior, it's accountability for the results and lessons

learned.  Legislation and public opinion have determined that current conditions at

Hanford, and several other sites, are not acceptable, and must be remediated"

I think the point is, and you make it, there aren't "results."  If there are

no documented health effects, and they didn't exceed the limits in place at

the time, then what "results" are there for which to indict anyone for anything?

Barbara