Re: Auger

In a message dated 9/4/2003 5:55:19 AM Pacific Standard Time,

michael.g.stabin@vanderbilt.edu writes:

I taught this recently at a short course, but was challenged by one of

the students that Auger was actually raised in a German speaking

province in France, and that the pronunciation might be more like

"OW-gher". Not hugely important, I know, but now I'm curious. Anyone

have any way of verifying or refuting this claim?

I've always said "Oh-zhay!"  Ole!!  But, then I mispronounced "tenet" as

Te-NAY, until well into college, so don't rely on me.  I must have a French

fixation.

Barbara