Re: BPAC protests uranium

http://www.idsnews.com/story.php?id=17922

Dear Ms. Blanford:

Your article on the military's use of depleted uranium was a commendable attempt at balanced reporting. This seldom occurs on this issue.

Your interview of a combat veteran/student as a counterpoint is the only one I have ever seen in the media and I have been involved in this issue for over ten years.

However, a psychology professor likely is not a credible source for information about the biological effects that could result from the radioactivity and toxicity of this substance. Her words apparently were lifted from antinuclear activist sources and have little validity. I don't do psychology; she shouldn't do health physics and industrial hygiene without referring to authoritative, peer-reviewed literature, in my opinion.

I suggest that you contact the Indiana University Radiation Safety Officer, Mr. Greg Crouch, gcrouch@indiana.edu, 855-3230, for authoritative information on this subject. Other knowledgeable nearby sources are in the IU School of Medicine Departments of Radiology and Radiation Oncology.

Sincerely,

Robert N. Cherry, Jr., Ph.D.

Certified Health Physicist

Colonel, U.S. Army (retired)