Re: Radium article

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 JOHN.RICH@sargentlundy.com wrote:

> After reading the reporters reply, it seemed like he was saying that

> elininating the 1 in 10000 chance of causing cancer in one person equals

> saving 1 life.   I guess this is the first time I looked closely at the

> 'anti' logic.   So, not to start a whole new thread, but have any of you

> already come up with a "sound-bite" size rebuttal for this argument??

	--The risks of dying from the air pollution from coal burning

electricity generation is thousands of times greater than the risk of

dying from radiation due to the nuclear power industry

	--The risk from nuclear power is equal to the risk for an

overweight person to increase his weight by 0.12 ounce, for raising the

highway speed limit from 55 miles per hour to 55.006 miles per hour, etc.

	--Numerous other examples are in Chapter 8 of my book "The Nuclear

Energy Option", posted on my web site   www.phyast.pitt.edu/~blc