Re: WashPost OpEd

Yesterday, agreeing completely with Ted, I sent the following letter to the

Washington Post:

Dear Editor:

The OpEd:"Radiation Chicken Little" by Theodore Rockwell (Washington Post

Sep. 16) reveals how scare operatives among officials and the media do a

public disservice.  The often repeated myths about radiation hazards cause

many in the public to cry "the sky is falling" at the mere mention of

"radiation" or "nuclear."  The greatest threat from a terrorist incident,

whether occurring or merely threatened, involving nuclear materials or a

nuclear facility, is the possible panic by a misinformed public, rather

than the direct consequences of the incident itself.  The truth is that

low-levels of radiation exposure pose no hazard to the public.  Any

dispersed radioactive materials are readily found and controlled using

detectors, contrary to the need for taking and testing laboratory samples

to define the result of an attack with biological agents.  Rockwell makes a

strong case for educated realistic evaluation of risks and emergency planning.

Stanley E. Logan

Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA