RE: [riskanal] RE: If you do Science, use the Scientific Method!

Dear Frank,

You are right on!  For years now, Joe Alvarez and I have faulted

the LNT proponents in papers, countless presentations, and many

discussions, for treating the dose or exposure as non-stochastic

quantities. That is simply and outrageously wrong!  We all know

that doses or exposures are stochastic quantities with often

quite large errors.  We pointed that fact out in an old paper in

the Proceedings of the First Dixy Lee Ray Symposium in 1994:

Seiler, F.A.; Alvarez, J.L. "The definition of a minimum

significant risk. Technology 331A: 83-95; 1994,

and more recently in the paper:

Seiler, F.A., and J.L. Alvarez, "Is the 'Ecological Fallacy' a

Fallacy?" Hum. Ecol. Risk Assess., 6, 921-941, 2000.

and maybe (off the top of my head) also in

Seiler, F.A., and J.L. Alvarez, "Confounding Factors and the Use

of Epidemiological Data in Risk Assessment," Human and Ecological

Risk Assessment., 8, 607-610, 2002.

As Joe and I have neither the time nor the means, or the data for

such an effort, all we can do is point this fact out (time and

again!).  It is a Model II linear regression that you need to do,

where both a stochastic incidence and a stochastic dose enter in

the fit.

Sometimes I think Joe and I are just shouting into the wind (like

the reporters covering the arrival of Isabel yesterday).

Cheers,

Fritz

Fritz A. Seiler, Ph.D.

Sigma Five Consulting:          Private:

P.O. Box 1709                   P.O. Box 437

Los Lunas, NM 87031             Tome', NM 87060

Tel.:      505-866-5193         Tel. 505-866-6976

Fax:       505-866-5197

"This is the hour when democracy must justify

itself by capacity  for effective decision, or risk

destruction or desintegration. Europe is dotted

with the ruins of right decisions taken too late."

"America's Responsibility in the Current Crisis"

Manifesto of the Christian Realists. May, 1940.

II regression that is needed