Re: Response to WashPost ltr

Joe

Excellent response.  Thanks very much!  I fully concur with Ted's

assessment, as well.  But the factual basis, as you have presented, is a

"must have" in any rational discussion, even with bureaucrats, regulators,

or idiots.

Thanks again!

Charlie

"Joseph L. Alvarez" <jalvarez@auxier.com>

Sent by: owner-rad-sci-l@WPI.EDU

09/23/2003 09:01 AM

Please respond to jalvarez

        To:     Charles Pennington <cpennington@NACINTL.COM>

        cc:     owner-rad-sci-l@WPI.EDU, RADSAFE <owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu>,

Rad-Sci-L <rad-sci-l@WPI.EDU>, "S. Fred Singer" <singer@sepp.org>, Ted

Rockwell <tedrock@starpower.net>

        Subject:        Re: Response to WashPost ltr

Charles,

I was involved in the shipping cask tests performed by Sandia and

developed

the explosive dispersal relationship between spent fuel and depleted

uranium. We then used depleted uranium in the casks we blew up, dropped,

shot rockets into, etc. Dispersal of spent fuel was modeled based on the

spent to depleted relationship. Three elements did not follow the particle

size distribution of the bulk material in the spent fuel. Cesium, antimony

and ruthenium. It is likely that iodine and tellurium did not follow the

bulk distribution, but the data were inconclusive. The three were very

similar in distribution and produced more small particles below 2

micrometers activity aerodynamic diameter than the other radionuclides.

The

activity below 2 micrometers was on the order of 5% of the total

respective

activity.

The 2 micrometer and below particles did not persist for very long because

they quickly attached to larger particles. An explosion is very dusty and

presents an enormous surface area for attachment. Small particles are very

mobile and find the surfaces almost immediately. The large particles

settled quickly so there was little dispersion of the material ejected

from

the shipping casks. The result of the shipping cask study was that we

could

predict should a cask be attacked in New York City, 400 people would die

from the explosion and there would be neither short-term nor long-term

effects from the radiation.

To your question concerning compounds of cesium. During an explosion, the

temperature is high enough to dissociate most cesium compounds. The

explosive gases cool quickly so most reactive elements stablize within

seconds. We also blew up a small tank of sodium for a heat exchanger

project. The sodium oxidized then reacted with the CO2 in the atmosphere

become sodium carbonate within feet of the explosion.

In general it does not matter what the compounds are. The material

folowing

the explosion is particulate and readily vacuumed up or washed away

following an explosion.

As Ted said, dirty bombs are impractical and there are more mundane

hazards

to worry about. The problem is that our government and regulators

advertize

that dirty bombs are radiological hazards and long-term problems. If they

keep it up, some terrorist (domestic or foreign) will finally believe them

and give it a try. Our job is to get the correct information out so that

terroist will not bother trying and the public will not panic if they do.

Joe

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 18:13:40 -0400, Charles Pennington

<cpennington@nacintl.com> wrote:

> Thanks for this bit of insight!!

> I am also curious about non-CsCl sources.  If you had more of a spent

> fuel source with Cs as a volatile at some partial pressure, it would

tend