RE: If you do Science, use the Scientific Method!

They certainly do not prove that LDR is harmful, which is the question in

question.

-----Original Message-----

From: owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

[mailto:owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu]On Behalf Of John Jacobus

Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2003 5:07 PM

To: Stabin, Michael; radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Subject: RE: If you do Science, use the Scientific Method!

Do the numerious epidemiological studies that shows no

know affects below 10 rem (0.1 Sv) count as proof?

--- "Stabin, Michael"

<michael.g.stabin@vanderbilt.edu> wrote:

> >That is why "disproving" the LNT is important.  It

> is being used in a

> reckless manner, even by those who should know

> better.

> I agree that the LNT has been used recklessly, and

> that responsible

> scientists who know better should point out when

> that is occurring.

> However, I think that scientific and intellectual

> honesty is the most

> important element in both our professional lives and

> our dealings with

> the public. I believe that anyone who is honest with

> the data will admit

> that at this point in time we don't know what is

> going on at low levels

> of dose. There is evidence in some experiments and

> data sets of

> thresholds and perhaps hormesis, but in others

> evidence of linearity,

> bystander effects, and other effects at low levels

> that cannot be

> categorically refuted. Until we have a unified and

> accepted

> understanding of low level effects, we should also

> not recklessly claim

> that there are none.

> Mike

> Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP

> Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological

> Sciences

> Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

> Vanderbilt University

> 1161 21st Avenue South

> Nashville, TN 37232-2675

> Phone (615) 343-0068

> Fax   (615) 322-3764

> Pager (615) 835-5153

> e-mail     michael.g.stabin@vanderbilt.edu

> internet   www.doseinfo-radar.com

=====

"Crime is contagious.  If the government becomes a lawbreaker, it breeds

contempt for the law."

Louis D. Brandeis, Supreme Court decision in Olmstead v. U.S., 1928

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist

e-mail:  crispy_bird@yahoo.com