Science and LNT

J Radiol Prot. 2002 Sep;22(3A):A129-35.

Uncertainty, low-dose extrapolation and the threshold hypothesis.

Land CE.

Radiation Epidemiology Branch, Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics,

National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD, USA.

Risk-based radiation protection policy is influenced by estimated risk and by

the uncertainty of that estimate. Thus, if the upper limit, at (say) 95%

probability, of risk associated with a given radiation dose is at

an 'acceptable' level, it is unlikely (or not credible) that the true level of

risk associated with the dose is at an unacceptable level. Central estimates

presented alone, in the absence of probability limits, lack this safety

factor. Estimating cancer risks from low doses of ionising radiation involves

extrapolation of risk estimates based on high-dose data to the much lower dose

levels that characterize the vast majority of exposures of regulatory concern.

Proof of a universal low-dose threshold, below which there is no radiation-

related risk, would revolutionise radiation protection. Available data fail to

provide such proof and, in fact, leave considerable room for the possibility

that DNA damage from a single photon can contribute to the carcinogenic

process. Allowing for the possibility of a threshold would, however, remove

very little of the regulatory burden associated with the so-called linear, no-

threshold hypothesis, unless that possibility were a virtual certainty.

INSTITUTE OF PHYSICS PUBLISHING JOURNAL OF RADIOLOGICAL PROTECTION

J. Radiol. Prot. 23 (2003) 263–268 PII: S0952-4746(03)65206-7

The LNT model is the best we can do—today

R Julian Preston

Environmental Carcinogenesis Division, National Health and Environmental

Effects Research Laboratory, US Environmental Protection Agency (MD B143-06),

Research Triangle Park, NC 27711, USA

E-mail: preston.julian@epa.gov

Received 10 February 2003, in final form and accepted for publication

Published 8 September 2003

Online at stacks.iop.org/JRP/23/263

Abstract

The form of the dose–response curve for radiation-induced cancers, particularly

at low doses, is the subject of an ongoing and spirited debate. The present

review describes the current database and basis for establishing a low dose,

linear no threshold (LNT) model. The requirement for a dose–response model

to be used for risk assessment purposes is that it fits the great majority of

data derived from epidemiological and experimental tumour studies. Such is the

case for the LNT model as opposed to other nonlinear models. This view is

supported by data developed for radiation-induced mutations and chromosome

aberrations. Potential modifiers of low dose cellular responses to radiation

(such as adaptive response, bystander effects and genomic instability) have not

been shown to be associated with tumour development. Such modifiers tend

to influence the slope of the dose–response curve for cellular responses at low

doses and not the shape—thereby resulting in a quantitative modification rather

than a qualitative one. Additional data pertinent to addressing the shape of

the tumour dose–response relationship at low doses are needed.