Re: Radioactive package seized

In a message dated 10/1/2003 4:27:40 AM Pacific Standard Time,

liptonw@DTEENERGY.COM writes:

Let's do the math.  The package was reading 1000*(0.05mR/hr) = 50 mR/hr.

The limit for excepted packages is 0.5 mR/hr.

I don't think that's the issue, however.  This seems to be undeclared

hazardous material, i.e. sent in someone's luggage without the required markinig or

shipping papers.

I agree.  I misread the original news report, and thought the PACKAGE was

reading 0.05 mr/hr.  In which case, it just needed a "marking," and statement,

both of which could be inside the package, with nothing exterior, and no

shipping papers.

Barbara