RE: Dept. of Homeland Security S&T Programs

While the nation's best scientists (or spies) cannot stop such activity, I

think their efforts are directed at mitigating the consequences.

At the low-tech end of technical mitigation measures are things like

reinforced airliner crew cabin doors -- which would definitely have stopped

"people with box cutters."

At the high-tech end are electronic devices and software, linked to GPS,

which prevent airliners flying over or in the vicinity of cities from

descending below a certain altitude (except at airports), taking over

control of them in the event of such an attempt, and steering them somewhere

safe -- say over the ocean or farmland. This too would definitely have

stopped "people with box cutters" from flying into the WTC.

As concerns the smuggling of WMDs into the US and dealing with & mitigating

the consequences of any successful attacks, I think the requirement for the

mobilization of the nation's best scientists is self-evident.

Don't you ?

 Jaro