RE: (Fwd) Border gamma-xray devices

Pauline and Gary and others:

In addition to the VACIS gamma-imaging devices developed by SAIC that are being installed primarily on the southern US border, there is a program to install radiation detection portals that is initially being implemented at northern border land crossings.  It sounds as if the truck driver's question refers to these devices.  They are designed to DETECT gamma radiation and neutrons and produce NO radiation dose, although they are calibrated periodically using radiation sources.  They are intended to detect radioactive materials that could be used in nuclear weapons or radiation dispersal devices.

There is a sentence or two in the Bodenheimer paper that Jose Julio Rozental pointed RADSAFE subscribers to <www.homelandsecurity.org/journal/articles/Bodenheimer.html> about the radiation detection portals.  Also, the U.S. Customs 2002 Annual Report has (p. 60):

"During the next year, we will continue to build our radiation capabilities by deploying Radiation Isotope Identification Devices which actually identify the radiation source and deploying portal radiation monitors which are sensitive to gamma and neutron radiation emitted by radioactive material.  The portal radiation monitors will be installed initially at mail and express consignment facilities and at major Northern Border crossings.  Subsequent deployments will be made to major seaports, Southwest Border crossings, air cargo facilities, and all other points of entry."

There is a DRAFT ANSI Standard N42.35, 091503 Draft, titled "Evaluation and Performance of Radiation Detection Portal Monitors for Use in Homeland Security".

Best regards.

Jim Dukelow

Pacific Northwest National Laboratory

Richland, WA

jim.dukelow@pnl.gov

These comments are mine and have not been reviewed and/or approved by my management or by the U.S. Department of Energy.