"Political wranglings over WIPP"

I urge those Radsafers who have access to "Nuclear News" to read the

review with the subject title, in the October 2003 issue, starting on

page 25.  It uses the history of WIPP as a case study to point out key

issues for siting a radwaste facility.

One key conclusion: "The book empirically proves that public opposition

to a nuclear repository stems from lack of trust toward the government

and the perceived risk..."  [i.e. It' not about dose, it's about trust.

Perception is reality.]

Examples of misconceptions cited:  (a) "All we have to do is to perform

a really complete, objective analysis of the project, showing that the

risk is low and the site is good."  (b) "If we have any opposition, it

must be because they don't understand."

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Curies forever.

Bill Lipton