Re: 60 minutes - Yucca Mountain

That recent  60 minutes broadcast is as good as it gets ..for our US Nuclear

Industry. We in the nuclear industry know that...I would hope.

A recent poll in USA Today showed that most Nevadans don't want the

depository but almost 80% are certain it will be built and operated. Almost that same

percentage wants the State to keep at the Federal Govt. for reparations. Don't

forget the segment on 60 minutes where they showed the 1950s information

booklet that said "radioactive contamination may become inconvenient but is not a

hazard". Who was working in the period ....that was in their right mind. As Ken

Mossman used to say " what disoriented person chose to name a field "health

Physics".  I know a Marine Corps general who as a 2Lt. led soldiers into ground

zero on operation smoky with no dosimetry or respiratory protection. Squads

were brushed with a broom after the exercise as they got back on deuce and

halfs ...thus greatly dispersing the heavy Alpha to their lungs that was all over

their uniforms.

The bottom line...everyone wants to suck the fed. Govt. dry, even the people

with houses burnt down in S. CA. I lived there 3 years in the present fire

zone and bailed out in the late 80s. What kind of emergency planning exits out

there, what insurance company that is in business to make a profit  would put up

with that. When will the overbuilding stop.Why wouldn't they get concerned

about a beetle infestation and dead forests like they hadn't seen in 50 years.

For us in the nuclear business, we are a part of the tremendous waste

...simply put.. that is also brokered through the federal govt.    And maybe some day

we will finally have the intestinal fortitude to announce that a low to

moderate dose of  ionizing radiation is indeed not hazardous...but that would put

alot of us out of jobs wouldn't it.

Ward G. Brunkow

Sr. Technical Consultant

The Chamberlain Group, Ltd.