RE: MDA vs. Critical level for DOE Free Release surveys

It's been several years (1991) since I worked the power plants (14 years),

but we released items at levels equivalent to 5000 dpm/100 cm2 total and

1000 dpm/100 cm2 removable (this was at just about every plant I worked and

there were quite a few; some went with lower removable, e.g., 200 dpm/100

cm2).  Generally when using a beta-gamma frisker (RM-14 was typical in those

days) if the total and/or removable was less than 100 counts per minute the

item was released.  Assuming a typical GM probe in those days was 20 cm2 and

the efficiency was 10 percent, this equates to 5000 total and 1000 removable

(by smear).

Randy