Re: AW: Dirty Bomb

In a message dated 10/28/2003 3:35:16 PM Pacific Standard Time,

franz.schoenhofer@CHELLO.AT writes:

I do not know the EPA or any other US regulations and I do not want to bother

you with the European regulations, but whatever the socalled "allowed dose"

may be, one should not forget the ALARA principle: As low as reasonably

achievable. This implies, that all precautions have to be taken, that maximum

permissible doses will not only not be

exceeded, but not even reached. It is not justified to neglect possible

measures to reduce the dose to the intervention personal by only making sure that

they would not be exposed to more than the maximum permissible dose.

The situation we are talking about is an emergency response to a "dirty bomb"

or other illegal use of radioactive materials, where there are persons that

may be in need of immediate medical treatment, or otherwise endangered.  The

dose limits for occupational radiation workers and ALARA regulations are not

applicable in these situations, since those are directed at "licensed" uses of

radioactive materials.

The reality is, we need to remember we may be balancing an immediate and

certain death in a flaming building against a slightly increased risk of cancer

years from now.

Barbara L. Hamrick, CHP, JD