RE: An HP Position is Open in Texas [License Reviewer,Medical andAcademic Licensing Program]

True, need and demand are often disconnected, particularly in dysfunctional

or constrained (e.g., civil servant) organizations.  Fortunately, it is

possible for a dedicated and skillful job seeker (or professional

organization like HPS) to plant the seeds of "need" with prospective

employers/sponsors by identifying mutually beneficial emerging

opportunities.  "Demand" eventually materializes for the persistent seeker.

Contrary to popular opinion, the value assigned to "demand" is in the hands

of the seeker, not the employer.  This isn't obvious because most seekers

are aware of just the relatively small advertised market where typically

less skillful or constrained opportunities are found.  The power remains as

it has for generations in the largess of the unadvertised market.

Yes, the HPS is self-serving in their lobbying and there is nothing wrong

with that.  The membership expects the society to promote the profession in

all venues, including "need" arguments before the Federal government.

Rick Orthen

Earth Sciences Consultants, Inc.