Re: An HP Position is Open in Texas [LicenseReviewer,MedicalandAcademic Licensing Program]

This comes full circle to my original questions about the alleged "human capital" crisis in hp.  This discussion has been worthwhile, to me at least.  I think the questions come down to 2:

1.  Is there a human capital crisis in hp?  To an outsider, there will be a human capital crisis when power plants shut down, medical diagnosis or therapy is cancelled, research is held up, etc., due to a lack of hp's.  So far this has not happened, to the best of my knowledge.  Missed or less than adequate inspections, regulatory violations with nominal fines, low wages, and

unfilled positions don't really count!

2.  If there is federal money to avert this "crisis," how should it be spent?  It seems that financing fellowships to encourage intelligent and motivated students to study hp when salary prospects are below those of comparble fields is like pushing with a rope.  If you think you can sell "job satisfaction" as a sufficient inducement, go for it, but I'm not holding my breath.

Having said that, I'll put in my $0.02 on where we should spend the money.

To me, it seems that the root cause of our lack of recognition is our lack of recognized credentials.  We seem to be one of the few professions which does not have a required credential to be accepted as a member.  CHP is a good credential, but that is not its purpose.  We need something, e.g., academic curriculum, license, certificate, etc. that represents a minimum requirement

before someone can be hired to fulfill the duties of a health physicist.  This would prevent employers from hiring unqualified persons to fulfill these duties (The regulators seem to let them get away with this.), and make us essential to their operation.  This would improve salaries for those who are qualified, and, incidentally, increase academic enrollments much more

effectively than fellowships.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Curies forever.

Bill Lipton