RE: Nuclear Cardiology question

You are correct. The external exposure concerns are minimal. The stray

radiation exposure rates during fluoroscopy for coronary interventions are

much higher. Also, by far the biggest hazards of "contaminated" blood are

the pathogens such as HIV, hepatitis, etc., not the radioactivity. If the

cath lab staff are following universal precautions, which they should be

anyway, no one will get contaminated with the patient's blood. The patient's

radioactivity will not interfere with the operation of the x-ray image

intensifier, either. I have participated in dozens of intravascular

brachytherapy cases during which 300-400 mCi of Ir-192 was snaked into the

patients' coronary arteries within the fluoroscopic field of view. No

blooming or glare or anything else occurred to disturb the x-ray imaging.

David L. North, Sc.M., DABR

Medical Physics

Main Bldg Rm 317

Rhode Island Hospital