Re: Overtime Will Be Outlawed

I believe this is an important issue, and it is not "word of mouth."  The actual proposal is to reclassify a number of jobs as "exempt" or "hourly exempt" in which "exempt" means "exempt from Federal wage/hour laws." Federal law requires that workers be paid extra (I think 1.5 time) for every hour worked over 40 hours per week.  Most professional jobs (like mine, for example) are classified as "exempt" which means we are not covered by this law and are not paid extra for overtime.  Many employers (like SNL) allow accumulation of compensatory time which is paid at the regular hourly rate.  Some employers classify the employee as "hourly exempt" which means that in no case is the empoyee paid for more than 40 hours per week, though he or she may be required to work for more than those 40 hours.

I don't know how rad techs are classified, or whether this is up to the employer, or whether it depends on the size of the company (how many employees).  It is an administration proposal.

Ruth

--

Ruth F. Weiner

ruthweiner@aol.com