RE: Widow Maker

There are a number of things about the story which I find dubious.

For example, this was the K-19's maiden voyage, so fuel failure is very

unlikely, unless the core overheated. The accounts I've seen say that the

PHT lost pressure, but that the fuel remained submerged (sub reactors have

far less post-shutdown decay heating than large commercial NPPs).

But the sub was equipped with two reactors, and its not clear whether there

is adequate shielding between them to allow repairs of one, while the other

is operating, nor is it clear whether the second reactor was shut down

during the repairs. Thus the repair crew might possibly have been irradiated

by neutrons from the second reactor.

As I said before, many questions but few answers.

Jaro

http://www.cns-snc.ca/branches/quebec/quebec.html