Re: Thermal issues for Co-60

The formula to use is:

decay heat (watts) =  K*A*E

where:

K is a conversion factor = 5.9278 E-3 [(watt)(dis)]/[((MeV)(Ci)]

A = activity, in Curies

E = MeV/disintegration

For Co-60, E = 2.60 MeV/dis

This assumes that all of the photon energy is absorbed, which is conservative.

(I'm looking at the back of my AAA card, which says that if you want the answer

for  TBq, you have to figure it out, yourself.)

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Curies forever.

Bill Lipton

liptonw@dteenergy.com