RE: Thermal issues for Co-60

A clarification: the MicroShield factor is specific to Co-60.

Ben

-----Original Message-----

From: Morgan, Ben

Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 1:08 PM

To: 'mark.ramsay@ionactive.co.uk'; radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Subject: RE: Thermal issues for Co-60

Good Afternoon:

The Revised Edition of The Health Physics and Radiological Health Handbook lists a conversion factor of 1 kW = 6.243E+15 MeV/s. For any source, the heat produced would be the product of the energy emitted per disintegration times the activity divided by this constant. Of course in a point source there would be no heating of the source itself since the heat "appears" in the material that interacts with the emissions.

For your Co-60 source the maximum heat generation would be [2.602 MeV/dis]*[1E+16 Bq]/[6.243E+15 MeV/kW-s] = 4.17 kW.

The heating utility of the shielding code MicroShield uses a conversion factor of 1.5423E-02 W/Ci which would also give you 4.17 kW.

Regards,

Ben

ben.morgan@pgnmail.com