AW: FRM-II criticality [FW]

    -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

    Von: owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

[mailto:owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu]Im Auftrag von Franta, Jaroslav

    Gesendet: Dienstag, 02. März 2004 20:12

    An: Radsafe (E-mail); bnct@mitvma. mit. edu (E-mail)

    Betreff: FRM-II criticality [FW]

    info received today from a colleague....

    Jaro

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    FYI - interesting pictures

    Subject: FRM-II criticality

    the newest German research reactor just made its first neutrons.

    http://www.frm2.tum.de/en/critical.html

    Jaro,

    Thank you for this link. I have two comments:

    1) I remember, that a few years ago there were fierce protests against

the frm2, because it uses highly enriched uranium (how else should the high

neutron flux be generated?) and that this would make the institution the

preferred target of all kind of terrorists to produce nuclear bombs at home

in their bathtubes and garages. I have not heard anything about this project

later on, not even in our totally anti-nuclear Austria. So if you had not

posted it on RADSAFE I would not even know about it.

    2) The website informs about a "neutron source" and avoids the word

"reasearch reactor" almost completely. Maybe this is the solution for the

problems of the nuclear industry? They should invent a "newsspeak" replacing

"Nuclear Power Plant" by "Plant for generating electricity using tiny,

friendly particles, peacefully separating overweight elements into smaller

and healthier elements for the benefice of the world" or similar.

    Franz