Beware 'Sound Science.' It's Doublespeak for Trouble

March 3

	Although John Jacobus appears to have surrendered on this thread I would

like to make a few comments.

	I have read the article -- I don't have the citation -- but a few years

ago the New York Times published a large article (with at least two

photographs) extolling the virtues of the Tooth Fairy Project (TFP).  Does

the TFP have any influence?  What do you think, John?

	When was the last time the NY Times ran a similar article extolling the

virtues of the Health Physics Society, the American Nuclear Society, EPRI,

or any nuclear industry or power generating organization; or even nuclear

medicine?

	If any actors (Alec Baldwin) or super models (Christie Brinkley) have ever

appeared at an HPS or ANS meeting to endorse the atom it is a well kept

secret.  I certainly didn't see it reported in HPS News.

	Prominent actors and pop culture figures fall all over themselves jumping

onto the radiophobic and technophobic bandwagons.  Remember Meryl Streep,

famous chemical engineer, who had so much to say about Alar?  Jackson

Browne and Bonnie Raitt are well-known singers who are anti-nuclear

fellow-travelers.  Streep, Browne, and Raitt may not be affiliated with the

TFP, but they are all under the same anti-technology umbrella.

	Influence, indeed.

Steven Dapra

sjd@swcp.com