Re: Beware 'Sound Science.' It's Doublespeak for Trouble

Steve,

Actually, I had to get some work (for which I get

paid) done.  Fortunately, or unfortunately, I am back.

I certainly do not dispute your comments.

Professional societies and various pro-nuclear groups

are definitely loosing the propaganda war.  We do not

have the ability, or even the desire I would say, to

draw celebrities.  But neither does the American

Medical Association, the American Association for the

Advancement of Science, the American Association of

Mechanical Engineers, and other professional

organizations.  I say professional in the sense that

members are employed in the profession and are

recognized by other professionals in the field.

I find it interesting that "grass-root" or

non-professional organizations, such as the Tooth Fair

Project, can get funding and draw celebrities to

promote their agenda.  (Yes, we also have agendas.)

Life is unfair, but it is what it is.

Maybe we should start a non-professional, grass-roots

organization.  Of course, we would have to give up any

professional and technical affiliation.  But we would

save on clothing because we only need to wear jeans

and t-shirts.  We could contact the NY Times and say

we have holding a news conference announce the

discovery of lies and conspiracies surround nuclear

power plants.  Yes, they are safe.  Yes, no one gets

cancer from living near them.  Yes, we refute the

statements of risk from the NRC, NCRP, etc., as

radiation is safer than they claim.

Are you with me, Steve?

Seriously, I wish I had an answer to the B.S. that

passes for science out there.

--- Steven Dapra <sjd@swcp.com> wrote:

> March 3

> 	Although John Jacobus appears to have surrendered

> on this thread I would

> like to make a few comments.

> 	I have read the article -- I don't have the

> citation -- but a few years

> ago the New York Times published a large article

> (with at least two

> photographs) extolling the virtues of the Tooth

> Fairy Project (TFP).  Does

> the TFP have any influence?  What do you think,

> John?

> 	When was the last time the NY Times ran a similar

> article extolling the

> virtues of the Health Physics Society, the American

> Nuclear Society, EPRI,

> or any nuclear industry or power generating

> organization; or even nuclear

> medicine?

> 	If any actors (Alec Baldwin) or super models

> (Christie Brinkley) have ever

> appeared at an HPS or ANS meeting to endorse the

> atom it is a well kept

> secret.  I certainly didn't see it reported in HPS

> News.

> 	Prominent actors and pop culture figures fall all

> over themselves jumping

> onto the radiophobic and technophobic bandwagons.

> Remember Meryl Streep,

> famous chemical engineer, who had so much to say

> about Alar?  Jackson

> Browne and Bonnie Raitt are well-known singers who

> are anti-nuclear

> fellow-travelers.  Streep, Browne, and Raitt may not

> be affiliated with the

> TFP, but they are all under the same anti-technology

> umbrella.

> 	Influence, indeed.

> Steven Dapra

> sjd@swcp.com

=====

"The care of human life and happiness . . . is the first and only legitimate object of good government."

Thomas Jefferson

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist

e-mail:  crispy_bird@yahoo.com

Yahoo! Search - Find what you.re looking for faster

http://search.yahoo.com