Luck and analysis

Now hold on here a minute.  Some people are referring to a heat transfer

factor that was not analyzed at TMI, one that was greater than expected,

causing a conservative result.  That's what conservative calculations buy

you.  When we do calculations (at least when I do them) in health physics,

a factor may not be fully analyzed, we know from our professional

experience and training that its effect will be more conservative than the

assumption we make, so we move on.  We don't analyze every stinkin' factor

to the nth degree, it's not warranted.   So when something bad happens it's

not as bad as we "predicted", although we're already ignoring the

conservatism we used.

Now I don't want to say that TMI was without some luck, there were still

things that should not have happened, but it was not just luck that kept

things from getting dangerously ugly.

(Obviously) my own personal opinion.

Brian Rees