Re: X-Rays at Podiatrist Office

I would suggest that you submit this question to the

Health Physics Society's "Ask the Expert" Web site at

http://hps.org/publicinformation/asktheexperts.cfm

The short answer is that there is little if any risk,

but I think you would like a more than that.

--- iradi8 <sloanpb@BELLSOUTH.NET> wrote:

> I recently had a series of foot x-rays done in a

> podiatrist's office. The person doing the x-rays was

> training a brand new assisstant. Neither seemed to

> have any knowledge whatsoever about what they were

> doing. I was not asked if I was pregnant -- I am a

> woman of childbearing age. I was not offered an

> apron which they do at the dentist (not that I feel

> that I really needed it). They stood right next to

> the head of the x-ray machine while taking all three

> films. Actually, the head of the machine was within

> 6 inches of her pelvis. The new assisstant was told

> that they could stay in the room for all x-rays --

> that the dose is so low that it is safe. That is

> what the "x-ray guy who works on the machine" said.

> I was taken aback by all of this! Could someone

> please enlighten me as to whether this is okay? I am

> sure it is not! Also, the machine is not in an

> enclosed room -- the restroom door is within 6 feet

> of it and an exam room on the other side of the

> wall. Shouldn't there be shielding -- I wonder if

> there is?

> Thanks so much.

=====

""A fanatic is one who cannot change his mind and won't change the subject."  Winston Churchill

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist

e-mail:  crispy_bird@yahoo.com

Yahoo! Search - Find what you.re looking for faster

http://search.yahoo.com