RE: Help!

Jay,

I don't know if there is an *easy* way or not. What I've done is use

qualitative NaI spectroscopy. I would collect a spectrum with an instrument

like the Berkeley Nucleonics SAM 935 or Exploranium of the material of

interest either in situ or of a sample and compare that spectrum with

spectra from NORM and with an appropriate background spectrum. Usually, I

use a thoruim source or radium source - some times a piece of Fiestaware

will work. More often than not, photopeaks from the progeny of the U-Th

series are very apparent in the sample that are clearly enhanced over

background. Remember, these are only qualitative measurements it would

require more rigor to quantify the amount of NORM in a given sample.

You may also want to look at NUREG1507 and NUREG1501 for a discussion of

background concentrations of NORM and include a discussion in whatever

report you write.

I hope this helps.

Jerry

The discussion of specific manufacturers' instruments does not imply an

endorsement or condemnation by me or my employer.

The statements and opinions expressed herein are my responsibility; no one

else (certainly not my employer) is responsible, but I still reserve the

right to make mistakes.

Check core temperature: yes./no? Yes! - Homer Simpson

Gerald A. Falo, Ph.D., CHP

Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine

U.S. Army Center for Health Promotion and Preventive Medicine

 <mailto:gerald.falo@apg.amedd.army.mil> gerald.falo@apg.amedd.army.mil

jerry.falo@us.army.mil

410-436-4852