RE: Algae

At Hanford Site, the "tumble weeds" have been known to concentrate radioisotopes through botanical deposition. They spray paint them in case they break off and roll out of the RCA so they can be identified/dispositioned. Water soluable contamination can end up that way.

Floyd W. Flanigan B.S.Nuc.H.P.

-----Original Message-----

From: owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

[mailto:owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu]On Behalf Of John R Johnson

Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2004 9:26 AM

To: Dr. Khalid Aleissa; radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Subject: RE: Algae

DR Aleissa

What do you mean by "biomagnification of uranium (& radium)"? Are you asking

about plants that concentrate uranium and/or radium.

If so, I've been around HP's that work at uranium mines and mills for

decades and have never heard it mentioned. I therefore assume that there is

no "biomagnification".

 _________________

John R Johnson, Ph.D.

*****