AW: Missing Exit Signs

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

[mailto:owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu]Im Auftrag von Williamson,

Matthew/Medical Physics

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 10. März 2004 16:08

An: Radsafe

Betreff: Missing Exit Signs

...from today's NRC daily event report...

AGREEMENT STATE REPORT - LOST TRITIUM EXIT SIGNS

The City of Holdrege, NE reported that in late February 2004 during an

annual inventory, it was discovered that 25 of 40 Tritium exit signs

were missing. The signs were installed in stairways in the city

auditorium. The signs are SafetyLite Model 2088 (2.2 Curies Tritium each

as of the shipment date of March 1990). An investigation did not

determine what happened to the signs and the State is closing the

report.

I know everyone seems to pooh-pooh tritium, BUT that is (was) 55 Ci.

>From a RDD standpoint, it can cause a huge mess and cost tons of money

to clean up not to mention the hysteria.  Remember an RDD is not

expected to cause radiation injury, but rather TERRORIZE the public.

Matthew,

I agree, that the unaccounted "loss" (are they really lost or have they just

been put down to the cellar?) of 25 exit signs is surprising. I do not

agree - in case this was implemented in your message - that this might be of

concern from the radiation protection point of few. First of all it is very

unlikely, that all 25 exit signs have been stolen at the same time, carried

altogether to a small cabinet and after some persons were locked in this

cabinet had been smashed at the same time. Then I really would agree, that

the 55 Ci or whatever this is in SI units were of radiological importance.

I would say, that trying to use tritium exit signs as an RDD, is ridiculous.

If they were of the type I know - filled with gaseous HT - sure no cleanup

would be necessary and would not cost a single cent, because within a few

minutes all of this gas would have been dispersed and diluted to ambient

levels. There would be no mess, because who should measure the tritium - the

first responders? Authorities could easily - without covering up anything -

state, that no radioactivity was measured. So what kind of hysteria should

evolve from breaking a tritium exit sign??? It rather seems that regarding a

tritium exit sign as a potential RDD is hysteria of a different kind.

I agree, that an RDD of whatever kind would not cause much damage, but that

it would create hysteria - easily created with the help of especially

"breaking news" of CNN and other mass media. Is there any code of ethics in

the USA how the mass media would act in the case of an RDD used? It does not

seem so if I regard the ultra-sensational broadcasts on Sept. 11 and weeks

after.

Best regards,

Franz