"Uncontrolled" radiation in my youth [was Re: X-Rays at PodiatristOffice]

At 05:46 AM 3/10/2004 -0800, John Jacobus wrote:

>Generally, the use of x-rays in podiatry is not

>routine, i.e., the patient does not get one every

>visit.

How things change! Growing up in the UK in the early '50s, I well remember

that the department store shoe department had a neat device that you stood

on and looked down at a "live" x-ray of your feet in your new shoes (to

check for fit). (I think it was called a "fluoroscope" or some such name).

Of course, for a kid, this was a big deal, to see the bones of your feet

wiggling around in the outline of your shoes! And we kids would spend a lot

of time on those machines. Even loved accompanying big sisters to the shoe

department, just so we could check out our feet.

Operator control???? Dose measurements??? I think the machine was on

constantly during store hours...

In the same period, I also had weekly doses of high-intensity UV from a

home UV lamp (a monster of German origin). This was pretty radical in those

days, but my family (along with our neighbors) were into that kind of

"cutting-edge" home therapy!)

I remember we had these neat little dark glasses (like mini-swimmers

goggles) that we had to wear to prevent our eyes getting blinded by the

intense light (and the cool stink of ozone the lamp generated!). All for

the good of my health.......

I seem to have come out of it without deleterious effects!

Regards

Doug

Doug Aitken		Schlumberger Drilling and Measurements QHSE

Advisor

Phone (Sugarland):   	281 285-8009

Phone (Home office): 	713 797-0919

Phone (Cell): 		713 562-8585

Principal E-mail: jdaitken@earthlink.net

Schlumberger E-mail: daitken@sugar-land.oilfield.slb.com

Mail: 	300 Schlumberger Drive MD2, Room 111

	Sugar Land, TX 77478