Re: Societies issue primer on radiological terrorism threats:Kearny practicalities

I would like to point out that the issue of KI availability and use is fairly complicated,  has

occupied the attention of thyroidologists for some time  and has generated a large endocrinological

and public health literature.  The American Thyroid Association  organized and presented a full day

symposium on  February 28,2003 in Washington DC  "Public Health Strategies for Protecting the

Thyroid with Potassium Iodide in the Event of a Nuclear Incident."

The National Research Council of the National Academies convened a select committee to "Assess the

Distribution and Administsration of Potassium Iodide in the event of a Nuclear Incident"  and

published an authoritative monograph with that title by the National Academies Press early in 2004

and on their website http://www.nap.edu.  In addition,the FDA, NRC, NCRP, WHO and NRPB present

detailed and extensive information on the web.

                     David V. Becker,MD

                     New York Hospital -Weill Cornell Medical College