Bethlehem, insult to injury and small world

Bethlehem, adding insult to injury and it's a really small world--isn't it?

    Dear RADSAFERS:

    I find these compensation comments by Dr. Weiner petty and crass. I only

call them as I see them. First it was an outdated publication and then the

comments at the end of this, one of the doctor's last notes.

    I am saddened by the pettiness shown in Dr. Weiner's workers compensation

remarks, but especially indignant about the comment regarding how much money

a "lawyer and consulting expert will get."  Your inference is palpable!

> Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 08:23:57 EST

> From: RuthWeiner@AOL.COM

> Subject: More on Compensation

> Why did the Bethlehem Steel workers not claim Workmen's Compensation?  I

> suspect it is because (a) they would have had to demonstrate the connection

> between whatever illness they were claiming and the conditions under which

they

> worked (or had worked) and (b) they would have forfeited their right to

sue.

> Next question:  what fraction of the $150K does the claimant's lawyer and

> consulting expert get?

> Ruth

> Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.

> -MNK

****

    Dr. Weiner, with regard to your question (a). from above

 - How could anything be proven when operations for the MED and AEC were

conducted under complete compartmentalized secrecy and records were/are either

hidden, destroyed or nonexistent for these activities?

 - Add to this poor or no dosimetry or record keeping--if any, done during

these early MED / AEC days. This question is unnecessarily redundant, illogical

and bordering on double speak.

    And again, please refrain in the future from citing outdated and or

incorrect documentation (1981 article referenced in RADSAFE # 1075), as this can

only create  potentially harmful and or dangerous situations with erroneous

human health ramifications, findings and information being distributed.

  Thank you.

    Sincerely,

     Louis Ricciuti

    Niagara Falls Lewiston Porter Youngstown Lockport Buffalo Tonawanda

    Los Alamos East

    "Before there was Los Alamos there was the LOOW"

       The Lake Ontario Ordnance Works

**A Note for Ruth Weiner: Dr. Weiner, I have seen you reference The Lab and

having a computer in your office there. I am assuming that you are associated

with the weapons lab at Sandia...if so, I have a piece of lab trivia that I

find is fitting here--

  Before there was K-land (well, maybe not before the first dirt airstrip)

and Sandia Lab, there was American Car and Foundry in Buffalo, New York.

Hmm--If you wonder what that means...read on-

 - AC&F are recorded as having shipped S.L.-South Albuquerque their

laboratory and foundry equipment when The Lab was first set up. I'll have to find my

reference for this but I'm sure it was on an early DOE matrix and list of MED

locations.

Small world isn't it?