Re: Outdated Love Canal reference from Weiner - Dapra is..

In a message dated 3/31/2004 11:59:33 AM Pacific Standard Time,

RuthWeiner@AOL.COM writes:

Can someone point me to a PEER-REVIEWED study in a reputable scientific

journal that refutes the 1981 study I cited?

I would like the citation to those articles as well, if they exist.  As of

now, the most comprehensive and reliable compilation of health effects

information on the Love Canal site that I have found is provided by the NY DOH at:

http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/lcanal/lcanal.htm

This site includes a list of all published health studies regarding the site.

NY DOH's conclusions remain, as I quoted earlier:

"What are my long-term risks?

Based on information so far, Love Canal residents have the same life

expectancy and cancer incidence rates as upstate New York and Niagara County

residents. We do have enough statistical power in the overall findings to feel

confident in them."

As Clayton Bradt pointed out, if you cannot detect an effect, it is exactly

like the case where there is NO effect.  When making decisions about how to

spend your public health and safety dollars, it is really more prudent to put

your money where the real, detectable effects are - e.g., into accessible

preventive healthcare, keeping emergency room and trauma center doors open, and

providing an adequate number of properly trained fire, police and paramedic squads.

 Do the math.  This is where we can have a real impact on body counts.

The difference between being a bleeding heart liberal and simply a bloody

fool is in recognizing that our resources are limited.  We cannot protect

everybody from everything.  We will all die of something, whether we like to

acknowledge that or not.  We especially cannot afford to try and protect people from,

or recompense people for, risks that are not discernable from the general risk

of death we all face.  The responsible action is to use our limited resources

to address problems that result in real, preventable, premature deaths, here

and now.  There is no dearth of such real problems by the way.

Brockovich-style epidemiology is not persuasive, so I am with Ruth and

others, please provide a list of the peer-reviewed studies that demonstrate an

increased incidence of cancer among former Love Canal residents.  Even then, I will

consider the evidence, but must frankly say that a statistically significant

increased risk is a long, long ways from the "epidemic" of health effects the

press-of-the-time seemed to imply.  The panic about the situation, and the

hundreds of billions we have collectively spent since then (across the nation)

trying to address these (so far) mythical epidemics will probably never be

justified in my opinion.  We have quite possibly killed more people with the "cure"

than the "disease."

Barbara L. Hamrick