Re: RE: IP Takeover? -Politics, Paranoia, and Votes

Hi Jaro:

Thanks for your comment. I find it hard to understand why some folks on this list criticize even bringing

up the potential vulnerability of LNG shipping and storage in & near big cities. I used to live in

Cambridge, MA and drove by the LNG storage tanks in S. Boston and Everett, MA [just a mile or so north of

Boston] across some open water.

If either of these tanks were breached in a rather easy terrorist attack [or one of the LNG supertankers

damaged in unloading], the LNG would flash to gas and mix with air, eventually reaching an

explosive/burnable mix as it "dissipated". The potential is there upon this cloud of natural gas hitting

an ignition source for a fireball or explosion that could kill thousands or tens of thousands of people

in a city like Boston over a wide area [not 30 years later due to a theoretical increase in cancer

incidence] but instantaneously.

It strikes me as a short sighted comment that the LNG industry is "at least as heavily regulated an

industry as is the NP industry". The level of safety achieved with Nuclear Power Plants due to their

multiple layers of safety in design could never, ever be achieved in the LNG

supertanker/storage/distribution industry when viewed in terms of  potential deaths per unit energy

producted [say per 1000 MW[e] plant operation per year]. To think otherwise is little more than

delusional thinking motivated by anti-nuclear activism and pure dogma from nuclear power's opponents.

Stewart Farber, MS Public Health