Mechanisms for Policy: Nuclear Safety, Global Warming, etc

"If we choose to discount [commission reports on global warming, radiation

safety],

what mechanisms should we choose?"

Historically, "atom" policy was originally, "unsplittable" to ancient Greek

commissions, 7 heavens dominated papal commission reports (not Galileo's

observations), and Semmelweis observation that handwashing stopped epidemic

childbirth fever was discounted by commissions.

The mechanism I favor is reproducable observation, testing hypotheses, and

skeptical criticism from diverse sources. For example, ACS policy from

Field's observations of more radon (c5.0pC/L) in homes of Iowa lung cancer

cases than  similar controls, extrapolates beyond Iowa data -a 1% USA

outlier - to advise that all  Americans have less radon. But Cohen found USA

counties with less radon (USA av 1.3 pC/L) to have higher lung cancer

mortality. Policy should at least await other study before supporting a

radon removal industry that frightens the public into probably greater risk

by further depleting radon.

Global warming policy likewise. It should not impose Kyoto burdens, removing

ambient CO2 (proven to grow crops better with less water at c500 ppm than

current c350 ppm) when unselected evidence indicates that would do more harm

than good - except for the vast publishing and CO2 regulatory industry.

Coastal cities like London and Venice did not flood when Greenland was

green, 1000 years ago. Where are the predicted deaths and cancers at

Chernobyl, Hanford or Taiwan apts?

The mechanism for policy should put the burden of proof on those selling

expensive actions - like nanocurie cleanup that lines their pockets. Agreed,

John?

Howard Long