Re: " Scientists Say Dirty Bomb Would Be a Dud " - fear of radiation

Dr. Rozental,

I am not sure if using this list is the right vehile

to use to ask you questions on education and public

reaction to a radiological bomb.  We are more

professional, e.g., knowledge about radiation effects,

and generally have a higher level of education than

the average American.  Consequently, you will probably

get a scewed response based on our understanding and

preceptions that the public has.  For example, my

wife, because of our discussions, has a much lower

concern about a radiological bomb than her sister.

--- Jose Julio Rozental <joseroze@netvision.net.il>

wrote:

> Dear Lars,

> Thank you for the reference. I know your paper, as

> well many others that you

> wrote, your

> contribution to radiation safety is very fruitful.

> When I had asked if American is educated to

> understand the consequences of a

> RDD and to minimize the emotions, fear or phobia my

> purpose is to learn  the

> American experience  in this direction. I know, and

> I have some details, by

> the internet on American States exercises, the last

> in Seattle. One of my

> intention comparing the radiological accident in

> Goiania x RDD, is how to

> improve decision making before an RDD and during the

> event. If country does

> not educate public previously to understand what is

> a RDD and how to deal

> with, the response will be very complicated, as it

> was in Goiania, due the

> complete population ignorance.

> Brazilian researchers produced  good papers on

> psychological and medical

> stress due impact, I'll use as reference on this

> issue, however all of them

> point out the problems, not solutions about to

> minimize them in terms of

> decisions and actions, considering  what to do, when

> to do, whom to address

> and how to do.

> Now I am learning American: researchers and public

> reactions on RDD, and I

> want to learn more from colleagues of this list.

> Until now I got only very few comments on this

> issue, doesn't matter this is

> also part of the complete spectrum..

> Jose

> joseroze@netvision.net.il

> Israel

"To be persuasive, we must be believable,

To be believable, we must be credible,

To be credible, we must be truthful."

Edward R. Murrow

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail