Re: Article: Lung cancer screening raises lung cancer risk

The Radiation Effects Research Foundation show 63

deaths (2% of 3391 cancer deaths) between 5 mSv and

200 mSv

http://www.rerf.or.jp/eigo/radefx/late/cancrisk.htm

Of course I have not read any of the reports which

might have more current information.  However, it

appears to be a bit of data mining (word-smithing?) to

enhance the risk value.

Keith, the HPS position paper I think you are

referring to is at

http://hps.org/documents/radiationrisk.pdf

--- Keith Welch <welch@jlab.org> wrote:

> Is this really right?  Are the bomb survivor

> statistics correct?  How does the cancer risk in the

> atomic bomb cohort reconcile with the HPS position

> paper on "radiation risk in perspective" which

> states that quantitative risk estimates should not

> be used below 10 rem?  (coincidentally, it seems

> that position paper is no longer on the HPS website.

>  Is it under revision?)

> "For example, 10 low-dose CT lung screening

> examinations would produce lung doses in the range

> of

> 25 to 90 mGy," he wrote. "Among approximately 30,000

> individuals in the cancer incidence cohort of atomic

> bomb survivors who received doses between 5 and 100

> mSv (mean dose, 29 mSv), there was a statistically

> significant increase in cancer risk (77 excess

> cancers, p = 0.05) compared to that in the control

> population."

> Keith Welch

> Majordomo@list.vanderbilt.edu  Put the

> text "unsubscribe radsafe" (no quote marks) in the

> body of the e-mail,

> with no subject line. You can view the Radsafe

> archives at

> http://www.vanderbilt.edu/radsafe/

=====

"To be persuasive, we must be believable,

To be believable, we must be credible,

To be credible, we must be truthful."

Edward R. Murrow

-- John