Does CT lung cancer screening LOWER lung cancer risk?

"4,687 non-leukemic cancer deaths occurred in 50,115 [exposed] survivors

where we estimated 4,306 would have occurred, had they not been exposed [to

1 to 10 cSv or rads]." (ref below). Indeed, that would suggest a slight

INCREASE in cancer deaths from CT, (c 1 rad).

However, the small difference (8%) might be explained by many variables.

Mostly I doubt the conclusion because it is inconsistent with other data:

The Breast Cancer Incidence Among Atomic Bomb Survivors (Land CE, McGrgor

DH, JNatl Cancer Inst 1979 Jan;62(1):17-21 table 2 shows "average tissue

dose, rads Observed 109 vs Expected 127.8 p,0.0001", but broken down,

rads 1-9, Observed 34 breast cancers, Expected 42.3 breast cancers!

Thus for that dosage, there is evidence that 1-9 rad acute exposure may

LOWER breast cancer risk. I abandoned design for a study using mammography

and CT

because the 1 rad acute from the CT would lower the power to detect

significant differences, since it would have much the same benefit as the

exposure (no good placebo). This is much the same problem as drug companies

are having with placebo in anti depressants (Wall St Journal, 6/18/04).

I think CT may LOWER lung cancer risk.

Howard Long