Re: Does CT lung cancer screening LOWER lung cancer risk?

At 05:56 PM 6/18/2004, Howard Long wrote:

>"4,687 non-leukemic cancer deaths occurred in 50,115 [exposed] survivors

>where we estimated 4,306 would have occurred, had they not been exposed [to

>1 to 10 cSv or rads]." (ref below). Indeed, that would suggest a slight

>INCREASE in cancer deaths from CT, (c 1 rad).

>However, the small difference (8%) might be explained by many variables.

********************************************************************************************8

THE PEOPLE SCANNED MAY HAVE HAD SOME REASON TO WORRY, SUCH AS A FAMILY

HISTORY OF CANCER. HENCE, THE RESULTS ARE BIASED IN THE DIRECTION OF

INCREASED CANCER EVEN IF NO RADIATION WAS INVOLVED'.

Otto

Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP

Center for Health & the Environment

(Street Address: Bldg. 3792, Old Davis Road)

University of California, Davis, CA 95616

E-Mail: ograabe@ucdavis.edu

Phone: (530) 752-7754   FAX: (530) 758-6140