Re: Numerous Transuranics found at Niagara - Help

June 25, 2004

There are two issues (1) Public Relations and (2) Radiation Risks.

As for radiation risks, the first step is to compare the concentrations of

these materials with the drinking water standards, even though this is not

a public water supply. Ultimately, the dose to people by all pathways may

need to be evaluated.

As for Public Relations, my only advice is NEVER, NEVER use the word "risk"

in talking to the press or any member of the public or to any public

official!  We cannot accurately estimate risk from low-level radiation,

anyway. But the important point is that members of public do not understand

what an HP means when he or she uses the word risk. You might as well have

said "impending doom".

Also I prefer the terminology of "Radiation Safety" to the words "radiation

protection". Everyone agrees that we need safety, but most people connect

protection with a bullet-proof vest, etc.

Otto

Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP

Center for Health & the Environment

(Street Address: Bldg. 3792, Old Davis Road)

University of California, Davis, CA 95616

E-Mail: ograabe@ucdavis.edu

Phone: (530) 752-7754   FAX: (530) 758-6140