Re:Numerous Transuranics found at Niagara - Help

Luke the guy who started this (Riccutti) believes that there were some lab animals, that had been injected with plutonium, buried at the site.  I think the source for his belief is a rumor that has been floating around the area for about 20 or 30 years.  About 2 years ago, while doing some trench sampling at the site they dug a trench or two in the area where some people think that lab animal corpses might have been buried, but nothing was found.  There may have been more work done on this (or more likely more is planned) since I left, but I can't say for sure.

Hope all is well for you.

"Mccormick, Luke I" <LUKE.Mccormick@dhs.gov> wrote:

To get a better view of what is going on you may wish to look at the

following site.

http://www.lrb.usace.army.mil/fusrap/nfss/

Niagara Falls Storage Site is a FUSRAP site because it is the repository

for the Belgain congo ore residuals. These ores were about 65% uranium as

opposed to the low concentrations found in the US ores. Since the site was

also used as a rad waste dump into the '50s there are a great number of

radionuclides at the site. The risk driver for the site is the Ra-226

buried there. The estimated concentrations are greater than class C, so

there are a number of transportation and disposal problems associated with

trying to remove the wastes. There are monitoring wells all around the site

and there is little migration seen so far. The site is capped so that is to

be expected. I think the risk assesment showed there may be a greater risk

in removing the wastes and transporting them than there is in leaving them

on site.

I've been out of the loop on that project for 6 months but heard that

something is in the planning stages for the site but I do not know what

that plan is for.

There are a ton of other issues associated with this site. To do it

justice, you need to review the few thousand pages of preliminary

assessment/site investigation data.

Regards,

Luke McCormick

DHS (former USACE) HP.