Re: Article: Lung cancer screening raises OR LOWERS lung cancerrisk

It should be noted that many of EPA's cleanup goals for various hazardous substances are developed by reference to animal experiments, which results are then extrapolated to humans.  However, aspirin is poisonous to cats, ivermectin is poisonous to collies (but not other breeds of dogs), squirrels can safely eat poisonous mushrooms, llamas can safely eat poison ivy, and guinea pigs and hamsters react entirely differently to PCBs (it kills one but leaves the other unharmed).   Everyone knows this is a flawed system, but this is the way we do it in order to base regulations on "science."   Regarding radiation, does physical insult to cells evoke different reactions in animals vs. people?  This is a somewhat different problem than the presence or absence of receptors to a chemical or the ability or inability to safely metabolize it.

Aside from questions regarding the animal models, I have a problem with "population dose" which seems to imply that if my secretary has an x-ray that it somehow increases my risk.  If epidemiologists can't coax any cause-and-effect risk relationship from doses below 125 mSv, then why assume a linear effect?  There are more important risks to spend money on reducing.  For example, around my area, about every week some 18-30 year old (generally male) commits inadvertant suicide and/or homicide by automobile.  Wouldn't pouring those resources into better driver education, law enforcement, and road improvements provide a significantly reduced risk to the general population?  For the worst drivers, an out-of-work HP could be assigned to monitor his driving.

My own opinions,

Susan Gawarecki