Re: CNN article

I believe that the Concorde jetliners had pressurized

ion chambers in the crew's cabin to provide real-time

exposure results.  If a solar event occurred, the crew

were supposed to reduce their altitude, which I

believe only occurred once.  I have yet to find any

indication if the exposure data was every recorded.

http://www.nrpb.org/publications/bulletin/no4/editorial.htm

> It as my understanding that doses to aircrew could

> not be accurately

> estimated using simple passive detectors such as

> TLDs.   Instead special monitoring

> equipment has been developed by the NRPB which is

> carried on the aircraft to

> provide dosimetric information and that by using

> different routes/flight

> paths/altitudes it is possible to estimate the doses

> to aircrew.

> Regards,

>      Julian

=====

"To be persuasive, we must be believable,

To be believable, we must be credible,

To be credible, we must be truthful."

Edward R. Murrow

-- John