  From: Mercado, Don

  To: radsafe

  Sent: Wednesday, August 04, 2004 10:29 AM

  Subject: Fed Ex Shipment

  Good Wednesday everyone,

  I'm trying to get a Cs-137 instrument calibration source reloaded so I'm shipping it to the manufacturer for refurbishment. Yesterday I got word from our shipping folks that Fed Ex Ground Shipment had picked up the package, then returned it to us without delivering it. Fed Ex indicated that they didn't have any problem with the packaging or accompanying paperwork, just that they were no longer shipping any type of radioactive material. Fed Ex no longer shipping *any* radioactive material? Even medical isotopes? That's new to me.

  Has anyone had a problem shipping RM via Fed Ex? What did I miss?

  Donald P. Mercado

  Radiation Safety Officer

  Explosives Safety Officer

  Lockheed Martin Space Systems Company