Re: Kodak X-ray film lowers radiation dose

There is a lot to be said for digital pictures.

However, when "the 35mm scan has 14.6 * 3 pixels or

43.8 megapixels in digital camera equivalent pixels,"

there still a lot the can be said for film.

http://www.users.qwest.net/~rnclark/scandetail.htm#digicamres1

--- Russ Johnson <rujohnso@nmsu.edu> wrote:

> Filmless photography is the rage now, so why not

> filmless medical

> radiography? Kodak had better prepare or they will

> become obsolete. Our

> local hospital went with digital imaging a couple of

> years ago. Works

> fine. Only thing to keep in mind is that digital

> radiographic images

> might not be admissible as evidence in a court of

> law. I don't know if

> that one has come up yet or not. So, film will

> likely be around for a

> while longer, just for things like that.

> -Russ

> "Vernig, Peter G." wrote:

> >  Film is passé and will probably soon be all but

> obsolete in this

> > country.  Digital imaging is here now and we

> switched over a year ago

> > in radiology.  One of our clinics uses it in their

> dental clinic we do

> > not as yet, matter of inertia and start up costs.

> But besides

> > reducing use of chemicals with toxic silver

> [that's right silver] and

> > attendant silver recovery it allows us to read

> studies from two of our

> > clinics here.My guess is Kodak is trying to retain

> as much business

> > for as long as possible by making whatever

> improvements it can.I

> > visited an orthopedist because my daughter had a

> problem [essentially

> > like having osteoporosis [sp?] in one bone in her

> foot because of poor

> > blood supply.  The doctor was able to zoom,

> enlarge, rotate, and very

> > visually and explicitly show me the problem, or

> actually the

> > correction of the problem.It was way cool!  And my

> daughter's foot is

> > OK too. Any opinions in this e-mail are solely

> those of the author,

> > and are not represented as those of the VA Eastern

> Colorado HCS, the

> > Dept. of Veterans Affairs, or the US Government.

> > Peter G. Vernig, Radiation Safety Officer, VA

> Eastern Colorado Health

> > Care System, 1055 Clermont St. Denver, CO 80220,

> > peter.vernig@med.va.gov, Phone= 303.399.8020

> x2447; Fax =

> > 303.393.5026, alternate fax, 303.393.5248

> > "...whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever

> is lovely, whatever

> > is admirable, if anything is found to be excellent

> or praiseworthy,

> > let your mind dwell on these things."

> > Paul of Tarsus

=====

"We Americans have no commission from God to police the world"

Benjamin Harrison

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist