Re: Kodak X-ray film lowers radiation dose

Filmless photography is the rage now, so why not filmless medical radiography? Kodak had better prepare or they will become obsolete. Our local hospital went with digital imaging a couple of years ago. Works fine. Only thing to keep in mind is that digital radiographic images might not be admissible as evidence in a court of law. I don't know if that one has come up yet or not. So, film will likely be around for a while longer, just for things like that.

-Russ

"Vernig, Peter G." wrote:

 Film is passé and will probably soon be all but obsolete in this country.  Digital imaging is here now and we switched over a year ago in radiology.  One of our clinics uses it in their dental clinic we do not as yet, matter of inertia and start up costs.  But besides reducing use of chemicals with toxic silver [that's right silver] and attendant silver recovery it allows us to read studies from two of our clinics here.My guess is Kodak is trying to retain as much business for as long as possible by making whatever improvements it can.I visited an orthopedist because my daughter had a problem [essentially like having osteoporosis [sp?] in one bone in her foot because of poor blood supply.  The doctor was able to zoom, enlarge, rotate, and very visually and explicitly show me the problem, or actually the correction of the problem.It was way cool!  And my daughter's foot is OK too. Any opinions in this e-mail are solely those of the author, and are not represented as those of

 the VA Eastern Colorado HCS, the Dept. of Veterans Affairs, or the US Government.

Peter G. Vernig, Radiation Safety Officer, VA Eastern Colorado Health Care System, 1055 Clermont St. Denver, CO 80220, peter.vernig@med.va.gov, Phone= 303.399.8020 x2447; Fax = 303.393.5026, alternate fax, 303.393.5248

"...whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is found to be excellent or praiseworthy, let your mind dwell on these things."

Paul of Tarsus