RE: Kodak X-ray film lowers radiation dose

Film is passé and will probably soon be all but obsolete in this country.

Digital imaging is here now and we switched over a year ago in radiology.

One of our clinics uses it in their dental clinic we do not as yet, matter

of inertia and start up costs.  But besides reducing use of chemicals with

toxic silver [that's right silver] and attendant silver recovery it allows

us to read studies from two of our clinics here.

My guess is Kodak is trying to retain as much business for as long as

possible by making whatever improvements it can.

I visited an orthopedist because my daughter had a problem [essentially like

having osteoporosis [sp?] in one bone in her foot because of poor blood

supply.  The doctor was able to zoom, enlarge, rotate, and very visually and

explicitly show me the problem, or actually the correction of the problem.

It was way cool!  And my daughter's foot is OK too.

Any opinions in this e-mail are solely those of the author, and are not

represented as those of the VA Eastern Colorado HCS, the Dept. of Veterans

Affairs, or the US Government.

Peter G. Vernig, Radiation Safety Officer, VA Eastern Colorado Health Care

System, 1055 Clermont St. Denver, CO 80220, peter.vernig@med.va.gov, Phone=

303.399.8020 x2447; Fax = 303.393.5026, alternate fax, 303.393.5248

"...whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is lovely, whatever is

admirable, if anything is found to be excellent or praiseworthy, let your

mind dwell on these things."

Paul of Tarsus