Re: Yucca Mountain : interview with Robert Kennedy Jr.

My guess is that it should be "Butler Buildings," which are lightweight

steel buildings, essentially panels on a light frame.  They're weather

proof and can stand up to wind and rain, but not intended to protect from

anything besides reasonable weather.

My guess is that someone looked at a prefab building around a few barrels

and decided that this was a good *sound bite* op.

john rich

Just my opinion.

                      Jaro

                      <jaro-10kbq@sympatico.        To:       RADSAFE <radsafe@list.Vanderbilt.Edu>

                      ca>                           cc:

                      Sent by:                      Subject:  Yucca Mountain : interview with Robert Kennedy Jr.

                      owner-radsafe@list.Van

                      derbilt.Edu

                      08/13/2004 08:40 PM

                      Please respond to Jaro

Interesting quote from an interview with Robert Kennedy Jr

 Jaro

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://www.ph-fare.com/press/kennedyinterview.htm

<snip>

 In the United States, we're still figuring out how to store the waste

products of nuclear energy for a period of 30,000 years - five times the

length of recorded human history - and it's taken us ... 40 years to get to

the point where we now have a depository, which is Yucca Mountain, which

has

very serious problems, which first of all, will only store half the waste

that already exists in the United States.

There's no plan for what to do with the rest of it. It's now temporarily

stored at the nuclear power plants that produce it.

Its spent fuel poses an enormous danger to the public, especially in light

of the terrorist threat.

Most of this is stored in unprotected what they call Butler shacks that

have

the structural integrity of a K-Mart. So we don't know what to do with it.

<end quote>

I have never heard of "Butler shacks" -- has anyone else ?

---

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/radsafe/